Jeweled golden rice
Modified from Eating Well magazine, June 2006
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 14 ounce can vegetable broth / fruit juice mix (orange, juice)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mild or hot curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 generous pinch finely crumbled saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions or chives, divided
- 3/4 cup unsalted mixed nuts , preferably pistachio, almonds, cashews
1. combine rice, broth/juice, water, curry powder, turmeric and saffron in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir once, cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes more. Fluff with a fork.
2. Combine oil, lemon juice, honey, orannge zest, ginger and salt in large, nonreactive bowl. Stir in the cooked rice, celery, dried cranberries and 1/4 cup scallions/chives. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
Serve with remaining scallions/chives and mixed nuts.
Makes 8 3/4 cup servings.