Pan-fried salmon potato cakes
 What you need
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 pound fresh or tinned wild salmon
- 1/2 pound boiled and mashed russet potato or a little more
- 1/4 pound boiled and mashed yam
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala or 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil for pan frying
 What you do
Lightly pound coriander seeds in a mortar or on a plate with a heavy spoon. (You just want to break the seeds in half.) Set aside.
Beat the egg in a small bowl.
If you are using fresh salmon, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Immerse salmon and cook for five minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and allow the salmon to cool. Peel off the skin.
Thoroughly combine all ingredients except the oil in a large mixing bowl.
With your hands, form round cakes about two inches in diameter and one inch thick. Set them on a baking tray.
Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a shallow nonstick frying pan on high heat.
Once the oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium so the cakes don't stick to the bottom of the pan or burn.
Place two cakes in the pan and cook for two to three minutes. Turn the cakes over and cook for another two to three minutes. The cakes should be brown and crispy on both sides.
Repeat, using one tablespoon of the oil for each two cakes, until all the cakes are cooked.
Serve the cakes as they are done, or keep warm on a plate in the oven.
Chutney makes a nice accompaniment.
Vikram Vij is owner and chef of Vij's in Vancouver
 Beppi's wine matches
Look for a white wine with substantial body, fruitiness and crisp finish. A New World chardonnay, such as Tinhorn Creek Chardonnay from British Columbia ($17.99), would be nice. Other good options include riesling, pinot blanc, pinot gris and viognier. From B.C., consider Red Rooster Riesling ($15.99). From France, there's Leon Beyer Pinot Gris ($16.25 in Ontario).